E ngā iwi, e ngā reo, e ngā whānau, e ngā kaiako, tēnā koutou katoa.
Greetings to all peoples, languages, families and educators.
He paku whakaaturanga tēnei mō te Hika TOROTORO.
This is a brief description of Hika EXPLORER.
The ‘Hika Rapid Language Learning System’ is intuitively simple with visual, auditory and kinaesthetic functionality for fun, fast and meaningful translation, education and communication. The Hika product set is focused on the learning and teaching of te reo Māori and supports the implementation of the New Zealand ‘Curriculum Guidelines for Teaching and Learning Te Reo Māori in English-medium Schools: Years 1-13’.
Following the 2012 launch of our Hika LITE App targeted for use by the general public, we then developed Hika EXPLORER which is specifically designed for the New Zealand Education Sector. Both Hika LITE and Hika EXPLORER along with a range of new products to come, all designed to advance the aims of the Hika Group to mobilise, socialise and normalise the use of te reo Māori in Aotearoa NZ.
To achieve our aims and enhance the learning and teaching of te reo Māori, Hika app’s offer:
- High quality sound files that assist with correct pronunciation and highlight the subtleties of tone in purposeful communication
- Authentic male and female teacher voices to highlight the tonal differences of gender in language usage
- High frequency language patterns for daily use in learning and teaching contexts
- Language patterns that highlight the subtle differences in whānau relationships
- Formulaic patterns that reinforce understanding of personal and plural pronouns
- Cyclical opportunities to learn and practise using A-Class and O-Class Singular and Plural Possessives
- Reoccurring opportunities to learn and practise using ‘i’ and ‘ki’ in sentence forms
- Differentiated opportunities to learn and practise Active language patterns
- Differentiated opportunities to learn and practise Passive language patterns
- Numerous opportunities to plan, grow, develop and improve personal reo Māori
- The 12 Chapters of Hika EXPLORER offer over 50,000 possible logical sentence combinations to learn and use:
e.g Chapter 1: Basic Classroom Language
- Every Chapter contains several Categories that each focus on a language pattern for a specific purpose and context:
e.g Chapter 1, Category 1 : Greetings and Farewells
- Each Category is linked to a Hika Hei Mahi game/activity to provide opportunities to rehearse and practise the targeted language patterns:
e.g Chapter 1, Category 1, Hika Hei Mahi 1 : Talking Robots
- Each Category and Hika Hei Mahi is aligned to specific Levels and Achievement Objectives of the New Zealand ‘Curriculum Guidelines for Teaching and Learning Te Reo Māori in English-medium Schools: Years 1-13’ which appear as abbreviations in the following way:
e.g (CG 1.1) : Curriculum Guidelines Level 1, Achievement Objective 1
- Each Category is linked to a Self-Test Item to monitor personal learning progress.
- Each Category is linked to a Txt/Email function for additional communicative use.